Machen old pit in the parish of Rhydygwern was re-opened about 1900 and was still working in the early 1920s. The old pit had been worked on a small scale in the 1840s by the Rector, the Rev. Augustus Morgan, to supply coal for the lime quarry in Machen which was owned by his father, Sir Charles Morgan. There was always a problem with water incursion in the pit.
This post-card is wrongly captioned Pentwyn Colliery, but it does include a general view of the Crescent, Dranllwyn and Commercial Road areas.